Saturday, February 14, 2009

Finly's eviction

Thursday, February 5th,

Today is Finly's "eviction" date.

I went to work this morning, and after some convincing from Michael, I only worked a half day. Around 1:00 I started to feel what I thought were Braxton Hicks contractions. Around 4:00 they were happening a little too often and realized that it was actual contractions. It figures, we're scheduled for an induction and Finly has decided to join the party.

Michael and I still went out to dinner at the Olive Garden since they weren't really coming in any consistent order and I knew it was going to be a long time before I could eat again. During dinner contractions became more regular, but nothing too bad.

We check into the hospital at 7, as scheduled. I was examined, and I still wasn't dilating so this means I still had to have the balloon catheter. :( They started the catheter at 8pm, and would remove it at 8am. I continued to have contractions throughout the night and early morning. They gave me an Ambien to help me sleep, but I didn't. It was a rough night.

Friday, February 6th,
8am, Catheter was removed this morning, water bag broken (ouch), and pitocin started. A pretty low key and unproductive morning and afternoon and I was dilating slowly. We finally got the ok to start pushing at 7pm, and around 8:30pm Dr. Tyler informed us that Finly is face down (sunny side up) and isn't really progressing. He said he'd let me push for another hour, but felt that we'd still end up with a c-section. I REALLY didn't want to go this route, but felt it was what we needed to do to make sure Finly arrived safely. They took me into the OR a little after 9 and Finly was delivered at 9:32pm.

Comments from the delivery room:
WOW! look at the size of the head!
That's a big baby!
The baby has a lot of hair.

Michael and I had to ask what we had, they were so surprised by the size of the baby they forgot to tell us what we had! :)

Everyone said "it's a girl". Lillian Grace had finally arrived!

Dr. Tyler told us after the delivery that she would've never arrived on her own, we would've ended up with a c-section anyway. This made me feel a little better about my decision.

Michael was amazing during the entire ordeal. I don't think I would've been able to labor as long as I did if it weren't for him. He was absolutely amazing. I don't think dad's get enough credit for all they have to endure as well. I know they don't have to deal with all the pain, but it pained him to see me so uncomfortable. He didn't eat or sleep, he was worried about just walking down the hall to get me water. He also got upset when we were waiting for the anesthesiologist to get me ready for my c-section because I was just lying there in pain and not doing anything. I'm so fortunate to have him.


Baby Newell said...

Sounds like quite a delivery! We are so happy for you and am happy to hear Lily is a healthy little baby!

theresa said...

I love that it says Finly's eviction how cute I told you it was a girl.And what a beautiful little(BIG) girl she is .I'm so happy for you both and the love that you feel for Lil will only grow as only parents feel for their child,I'm really blessed to have such a beautiful niece